Key features of the book:
• This book is designed to help children identify and normalize their worries, fears and anxieties. Throughout children are provided with concrete coping skills and parents are given the words to use to assist them.
• A main goal of the book is to foster conversations between children, caregivers, parents and teachers about managing anxiety.
• Another goal of the book is to give children the tools they need to feel more in control of their anxiety. The story told reveals that working together, children can help each other and that one can be scared but still take a step forward.
• Using beautifully illustrated, relatable farm animals from the children’s classic, Chicken Little, this take on that classic seeks to normalize the experiences of children with anxiety and brings the child and caregiver together in conversation and understanding.
• The book is designed to help children understand that anxiety is universal and treatable.
• The two sections at the back of the book,
Resources in Working with Children • and
Resources for Children with Anxiety • provides valuable and concrete information and resources for parents and caregivers.
With the dramatic rise in anxiety disorders in children, the importance of providing a framework to better understand and manage a child’s anxiety cannot be understated. Children need a voice in which to express themselves and caregivers need knowledge and strategies to support them. Chicken Little, Come Out. The Sky is NOT Falling! provides them with the tools they need in a charming and relatable way.